Identity Fraud Recovery Benefits
Identity fraud is a growing problem for consumers. As an added benefit for our members, Guardians Credit Union is pleased to provide access to Identity Fraud Recovery Benefits to all accounts (excluding minor accounts) for a nominal fee of $1.50 per month — you have the choice of having this nominal fee tied to either your savings or checking account.
The recovery benefits we are providing are the best available in the marketplace today. If you become a victim of identity fraud, or you are concerned that you are vulnerable, we will put you in touch with a certified, licensed Recovery Advocate who will do the work on your behalf to restore your identity to pre-event status.
What are the Identity Fraud Recovery Benefits?
We have partnered with one of the nation's most trusted names in identity theft protection to provide you with access to a comprehensive suite of services to address fraud caused by identity theft if it happens to you or your family member. These services include:
Fully Managed Identity Theft Research, Remediation and Recovery
If you suspect identity theft, or if your personal information becomes compromised, we will assign you to a professional, certified and licensed Recovery Advocate will complete the recovery work on your behalf, report progress along the way, and be there for you until your good name is restored — no matter how long it takes!
This service extends to cover you and up to three generations of family! Covered individuals include:
- Spouse or domestic partner
- Dependents under age 25 with the same permanent address — even if they are in college or the military
- Parents with the same permanent address — living at home or in elder care (nursing home, assisted living, hospice, etc)
All Family Members are covered for up to 12 months after death — an important benefit as identity thieves target deceased individuals.
The identity theft research and recovery benefits cover all types of identity theft — including both financial and non-financial fraud. These include, but are not limited to:
- Medical fraud
- Bank and credit card fraud
- Government documents and benefits fraud
- Employment fraud
- Phone and utilities fraud
- And many more ...
Lost Document Replacement
If important documents are lost or stolen, your Recovery Advocate will work with you to obtain replacements for the missing documentation.
Identity Theft Expense Reimbursement Insurance*
Also included is up to $10,000 of Identity Theft Expense Reimbursement Insurance. This benefit covers out-of-pocket expenses incurred during the recovery of your identity, such as attorney's fees, lost wages, and more. View Evidence of Coverage.
How it works
If you or your family member suspects identity theft, or your personal information becomes compromised — as a result of a lost purse or wallet, a break-in, lost laptop or data breach, or other event — we can help. Simply contact us and a representative will verify your information and securely submit your case to a Personal Recovery Advocate, who will contact you directly by phone.
This trained and certified Recovery Advocate will place fraud alerts at the three major credit bureaus for you; help you access services to watch for signs of identity theft; and access your credit reports and conduct a threat assessment to determine if any identity theft has occurred.
If you are victimized by identity theft, your Advocate will work on your behalf to restore your identity. Based on the incident, your Recovery Advocate will:
- Provide you with access to credit reports from all three bureaus and review the reports with you to identify fraudulent activity.
- Work with you to place fraud alerts with the three major credit bureaus.
- Assist you in completing an Identity Theft Affidavit and Declaration of Fraud to establish your rights as a victim.
- Activate credit monitoring during your recovery to help you watch for additional signs of abuse.
- Contact the Social Security Administration, U.S. Postal Service, Department of Motor Vehicles, etc. as applicable, to address any misuse of official documentation of your identity.
- Research and document all fraudulent transactions and false accounts or contracts signed with creditors, banks, utility companies, leasing agents, medical facilities, etc.
- Follow up to make sure all wrongful activity is reversed and removed from your records.
- Work with local and federal law enforcement to try to stop the criminal or criminals who are using your identity.
- Enlist other members of the recovery team to assist when necessary, including professional investigators and legal advisors.
- Provide 12 months of follow-up after your recovery is complete — to be sure you stay recovered!
If you have any questions about this valuable benefit, please contact us.